MK Test Systems, based in Wellington, Somerset (near Taunton), designs and manufactures Automated Test Equipment (ATE) for the Aerospace, Rail and Oil & Gas industries. With over 30 years of experience in the testing field and systems deployed with the biggest manufactures of aircraft and trains throughout the world, we have built a reputation for innovation and success. We recently won the Tech South West 2022 AeroTech award for our RTS product.
This year we are continuing with our successful program, offering an opportunity for a student currently studying at undergraduate level to join the team at MK Test for a ‘Year In Industry’ placement.
MK Test is offering one ‘Year in Industry’ student placement, running approximately July 2023 to June 2024. This placement will be focused on embedded systems and firmware development in C and VHDL.
Applications from any relevant technical degree course will be considered. However, a course covering Embedded Systems, Embedded Programming or Software Development will be most relevant to the position.
To learn more about life at MK Test Systems, visit our company page.
Salary, location and hours of work
- The role is based at our Wellington, Somerset head office.
- This is a Monday to Friday role.
- Salary: £19,600 p.a.
Knowledge and experience
A successful applicant should have basic knowledge or experience in some or all of the following areas:
- Basic programming skills, preferably in C language,
- Microcontrollers & embedded toolchains
- Software development practices – version control (GIT), unit testing
- FPGAs and VHDL,
- Interfacing with DACs and ADCs,
- Embedded communications protocols (UART, I2C, SPI etc.)
- Ethernet – knowledge of TCP/UDP protocols an advantage,
- Use of basic laboratory electronic test equipment (Bench PSUs, Multimeters, Oscilloscopes etc.),
- Electronic design principals for measurement of voltage, current and resistance,
- Writing and presentation skills in English.
Main duties and responsibilities
Working as a member of the Engineering Team on design, development and validation of firmware for MK Test products:
- Capture & specify requirements
- Contribute to system & firmware design process
- Define manual test procedures & automated software tests
- Implement firmware & participate in code reviews
- Troubleshoot system performance and debug firmware issues
- Install and verify firmware on embedded systems
- Work alongside firmware engineers to create technical specifications, qualification plans and project estimates.
Additional duties and responsibilities
The following items are included for understanding of the wider business and the full engineering project lifecycle.
- Electronic wiring and assembly,
- Basic mechanical work and assembly,
- Preparation of design and test documentation,
- Execution of Qualification and Test procedures.
- Preparation of technical documentation and user guides.
How to apply
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications close Friday 31st March 2023.